Quantize option for slice start

When in loop/slice fader mode you can lock the slice start and end times and fluidly scroll through the sample with the fader. It would be amazing if there was an option to quantize the start position to increments of the loop length (the difference between the start & end times). This would make it so that you could load up a sample chain (a file of evenly spaced spaced samples in a single file) and scroll through it only at the intervals of the sample slices in the chain, insuring that you’re not hitting dead space or the middle of a slice on the next pad hit. This would make for really fun exploration, especially when using note repeat.

For example:

1. Prepare a sample of 8/12/16/24/48/64/whatever evenly spaced samples
    (these could even be created on the S2400 by bouncing a pattern of 1-hits)
  2. Load that sample on a track.
  3. Go to loop/slice fader mode.
  4. press shift+[a] to open loop/slice settings
  5. enable “lock start & stop”
  6. THE REQUESTED OPTION: enable “quantize start position”
  7. press [b] to open the waveform editor
  8. select the beginning and end of the first “slice” in the waveform editor
  9. back out to loop fader mode
  10. tap the pad while you move the slider and now every tap should be a different sample that starts at the beginning of the slice

You can kind of do this now but since the start point is fluid it’s very easy to land on a moment of silence. Quantizing the slice start point to the slice length would make it so that you scroll in increments through the sample instead of fluidly. Another approach would be to have an arbitrary number of divisions of sample length that you can scroll select (off/2/4/8/16/etc) instead of basing it on the slice length

I know that you can kind of do this with multimode, but you’re basically limited to 8 slices and it’s real fun to jam with note repeat on a single slider to experiment.

1 Like

man, I never knew that you could lock your start and end points! I’m going to turn my machine on to try this out.

I actually love this idea, thanks for writing this out-- and it doesn’t seem overly complicated to put into the firmware. I could see this helping us to get much quicker slices from quantized audio via the daw, and this method could be really helpful for the step sequencer or TR-step where every slice’s endpoint becomes the start of the next slice.

+1

1 Like

That would be nice!

I would also really love having just a quantized grid mode for the slicing. So the cursor only scrolls by the the quantize setting making it a lot easier to slice out 1 bar of a loop and be sure you chop in in time.

1 Like