New firmware (?) crashing S2400 via USB MIDI clock sync

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware but only started working on a project today.
I’m using Logic Pro on OS Ventura and sending MIDI clock via USB to sync the S2400. Now this has always been a bit flakey on Logic and I usually have to unplug and replug the USB cable or send ‘reset all MIDI drivers’ when the S2400 is powered on (connected to the M2 mac via USB and S2400 set to USB-B clock). Usually that works. With the new firmware when I ‘reset all MIDI drivers’ to get the S2400 to clock the S2400 completely crashes/freezes it. I have to switch off and on again.
Tried with Ableton Live 11 and all is ok so whatever problem there is seems to be with Logic and the s2400 MIDI driver.
I deleted the S2400.SET file from the SD card to see if that fixed things but no joy. There was a junk folder created on restarting (see pic) but still crashing with Logic.
I then reverted back to the previous firmware (which was useable with Logic) but now even that is causing the S2400 to lock up after a few stop/starts.
The thing is- I had the same clock problems with my previous iMac running Big Sur so I’m pretty sure it’s not related to any specific OS or model. Any ideas of workarounds/fixes?

Just to add - sending MIDI clock using DIN MIDI has the same effect - freezes the s2400. No other synths have any problem receiving MIDI clock from Logic Pro - e.g. Novation Peak, MicroFreak - even the little cheap Uno Synth Pro can handle it fine.

Have you checked if you have a MIDI feedback loop?

Don’t think so, as it happens with only a MIDI in connected via DIN, but I’ll check the S2400 settings.

If it’s just one MIDI DIN that’s plugged in there shouldn’t be a chance of feedback loop. But if the USB is also plugged in you could get some unexpected behavior.

Nope, no USB cable plugged in at the same time as the DIN. There’s definitely something in the clock messages that Logic sends that my S2400 doesn’t like - I just tried to sync via USB on a Macbook running Monterey and it won’t run at all with Logic. It’s weird that Ableton Live works fine but there might be differences in the way MIDI clock is implemented on each app. And it’s not any SD card issue because the same crashes happen without any card in (using the factory kit). I’m kind of stumped here but I’m thinking there’s a fault in my box.

Before I probably raise a support ticket - has there been anyone had issues with the MIDI clock from Logic and their S2400? Crashes, not locking at all?

I havent gotten logic pro x to sync with the s2400 at all actually… I tried sending either clock, mtc and mmc from logic to the s2400 over usb with different settings on both logic and the s2400 but no reaction at all.

How do you have this set up?

Just tried again, I got this to actually work for the first time since getting the machine. Could it be the update that messed it up for you actually fixed it for me?

Could be, but even reinstalling the older update from Spring didn’t revert anything to what I had before. It seems a bit hit and miss overall. Glad that you can get it working for yourself. I’ve contacted support and word is that the S2400 and Logic MIDI clocks have been shit together since day one. No work-arounds as yet. Maybe sending an audio analogue clock could be a temp fix (maybe). Other than that it’s DJ skills time with the start/play transports. :wink:

1 Like

Logic Pro has never been a good master clock. I wasted too much time trying to get it working and finally bought this:
https://www.innerclocksystems.com/sync-gen-3
I now have sample accurate clock sync.

The only workaround for this problem is to send the MIDI clock from logic to another machine with a clock send option Akai live etc then onto the S2400.

Yeah, it seems that not every Logic user has the same problems but a fair number do. It does work via another device generating a secondary clock but not via a MIDI Thru. I’ve found that not using a sync option with SPP seems to work without crashes- the Pattern based one.

You’re going to drive yourself crazy trying to make Logic the master clock. Logic prioritizes internal timing over over external. There are a couple hardware clock generators that get clock from audio pulses.
Expert Sleepers and Innerclock systems work well.

1 Like

Yes absolutely and S2400 timing is really tight this way

Well, the Innerclock one is too pricey for me and the single MIDI out on the ES one is too limiting- as at the moment I have a shedload of MIDI ins and outs on other interfaces. But yeah, they seem to do what they say.
Sometimes I wish I still had an Atari ST and Cubase 2 lol.

I have the Innerclock, plus…
2x BomeBox – Bome Software
2x http://tinyurl.com/d-link-7pusb

I bit the bullet once and glad I did.