Multmode Loop Slice weirdness

Got some odd behaviour!
Running latest version of the software
In multimode loop slice mode when chopping samples. I’ll post a video here. Could be an sd card thing?
I’m using SANDISK EXTREME 128gb, 150mb/s

2 Likes

Hey Monkeyman. I think the muted sound is definitely an issue and there are a few threads concerning that if Im not mistaken. The “loading” message you get is due to a 2MB limit per track. The S2400 has 64MB ram, and as such allocates 2MB per track so if any audio assigned to a track is > than that you have to pull it from disk. I work around this by chopping and saving the parts to files. Check out this thread where it appears Mickey has a fix for the slice mode muting:

2 Likes

Ah right. Thanks for the tip. I was working with a sample I had saved to the card so I guess this makes sense. I’ll try the tip you linked below. I have been messing with mulitimode slice mode for a few hours and have managed to freeze my machine… nooo. Guess its looking like a hard reboot.

1 Like

Should I load the sample back off the external card into the internal memory?
Would that be a potential fix?

1 Like

Thanks for the insight brothers salute

Hey @Monkeyman not quite sure what you mean and I don’t want to speak out of turn (@bradholland or @Mickey please correct me if I am wrong) a sample will load into internal memory if it is 2mb or less. If it’s > 2mb then it streams from the storage (internal or sd). I don’t think there is any way to force one way or the other and it’s just how it works. As someone with no inside knowledge of the internal code it looks like they took the available RAM(64)/number of tracks(32) to get 2mb per track. Unless down the line a change is made that allows dynamic Ram allocation per track then the choice will be use a file < 2mb or stream from as and see a slight delay on the a button in loop slice mode.

See the below post for approximate lengths to use to stay under 2mb.

1 Like

dynamic ram like we get in the OT would be sick, such a lifesaver

maybe mickey can think about it in future, be cool if so, if not, nay bother

3 Likes

Dynamically sizing RAM (instead of fixed size buffers) is on the Audio Engine side, so that’s for @av500 to think about.

3 Likes

If possible that would be amazing. In most use cases people are not using 32 tracks at once. If you have one or two long melodic samples to chop up and a bunch of one shots this would be huge because the one-shots take very little ram and that would leave a lot of room for the big ones, right? Am I thinking about this wrong?

I can give you 10s of dynamic RAM - heck, even 20! :wink:

3 Likes

Having the samples all in RAM only makes the waveform editor load faster. It has no other real benefits.

2 Likes

That is a pretty big benefit when trying to pick slice points for a long melodic sample IMO. Often find myself swapping back and forth to see how they sound together and then adjust start points. It still works great as is but I think it would be a big boost to hear the samples audition quickly in the waveform editor and not have to go in and out each time you want to hear it vs adjust.

You mean audition tracks other than the one being edited?

No - I mean what I think was being discussed which is if there was a way to free up ram from other tracks with short samples to have the waveform editor load faster in multislice mode for the larger samples so that you could switch quickly between which SLICE (my mistake) is being edited/auditioned.

Ah, I see. It is reloading the sound when another multi slice pad is pressed. It does not have to do that. That’s a bug, which I will fix.

4 Likes

@Mickey thanks for all you and the team do boss 2 today on a roll this bad boy go be something else once we go through these little bumps and curves the ride is amazing no other company I know getting down like Isla …

1 Like

I only use 26K mono samples, under 15 seconds because of the lag with LS/MM. But hey, as I’ve said f you SP1200 like sound, pitch your samples and sample in 26k/mono.

2 Likes