MIDI Note Off Bug

So, I have reported this before and no one has chimed in with any insight, so I’ll try again (truly love you, ISLA team, no hard feelings - y’all are busy folks) but I am getting stuck note bugs in the MIDI banks with two of my synths - the Vermona Perfourmer and the Michigan Synth Works MSW-810. How are note off messages handled by default - upon pad release? How about external midi keys, how are they routed? I am far from a MIDI noob (at least a decade of MIDI fingaling) and I love the ergonomics of the ISLA sequencer but these stuck notes are screwing stuff up. In both cases, they occur when I have a pattern in the sequencer running and I play on top of it. Doesn’t matter if I am using an external controller or the pads.
This doesn’t happen on these same synths, same circumstance, with the Keystep Pro.

Not sure what is going on with the note offs.

Plz help!

Some note off related bugs have been detected and solved in the past. Before those fixes, I witnessed it often. Now, to me, it is more rare, but not impossible. I must say that I never overdub on midi tracks. When I want to add another part to the same synth (maybe add chords or bass to a melody), I record on another pad and set that to the same midi channel. By doing it like this I get the added benefit of being able to mute/solo the individual parts.

Even if you just want to jam on top of your recorded midi, I would recommend using a separate midi track. You have 32 tracks at your disposal, while the midi out only can send on 16 channels.

Besides that, I will try to detect more use cases of the note off bug. Are you by any chance playing chords while this problem occurs?

1 Like

So, it’s happening almost exclusively on monophonic parts, not chords. But it happens when the bites overlap, as in basses or lead parts.

I tried your trick and it does seem to do the trick, to have another pad for overdubs/jamming. But I’m not sure why the other version is locking up synths, every single time. Is there some way I could get someone to look at the midi messages it is spitting out? @Mickey I am not sure if you are charge of the midi sequencer code, but I thought I’d ask for guidance.

These bugs are 100% repeatable, btw.

You can “look at the midi messages it is spitting out” yourself. Use a MIDI monitor like ReceiveMIDI.

1 Like

First:
receivemidi list
(to search for your midi input name)

Then:
receivemidi dev ‘[midi input name]’ on off
or
receivemidi dev ‘[midi input name]’ on off clock

and then search for ‘note-on’ without ‘note-off’ in the output, I guess?

I have tried for an hour to get this in a reproducible scenario, but I failed. I’ve had some hanging notes after pressing loads of keys at the same time (when ‘overdubbing’, actually playing on top, so without recording). Some kept hanging after ‘overdubbing’ chords. Only one time I got a hanging note by ‘overdubbing’ using 1 note. I kept it on for longer than the length of the pattern and then released it.

But recording the situation into the sequencer is another thing. I could not get the sequencer to record something that could reproduce hanging notes.

When you are able to record it into a pattern, please upload the project. If it is only a live playing thing, what is keeping you from using ‘the workaround’ to avoid troubles?