MIDI issues - recording [FIXED]

Can you be more specific? Mickey can fix them if we know how they come about.

When I’m recording MIDI notes via MiDI focus using an external keyboard, the target synth will trigger the notes I’m playing but also additional hung notes.

It doesn’t seem to record these hung notes, but I need to turn the synth off and on again (MIDI panic) to clear the notes from playing.

Doesn’t happen all the time.

It happens to me a lot and the unit is becoming unusable for what I want which is midi controlling synths for live performances as well as playing samples. Is a pity I must say. I’m waiting for a midihub unit to try to clean that midi feedback. One thing I don’t understand is every time I play my prophet 6 the midi light in the grandmother lits, is like the s2400 is sending midi through to the grandmother and it shouldn’t since I’m going midi din in and out from the grandmother to the s2400 and viceversa. Why is the midi notes that I’m playing in the prophet going into the grand mother? The only way should be by midi through right?

2 Likes

I also have problems with my Grandmother to the point that I need to reboot it - I can’t tell if this is a problem with the GM or the 2400.
I have a new problem too that has cropped up which is definitely the 2400 since it happens on all synths, where after recording a midi part and then disengaging the record button (but still playing the track) the midi drops out for a bar for the track (instead of continuing the loop). There is also random unrepeatable weirdness that I don’t feel like documenting at the moment.

2 Likes

Newest Firmware here. Running into the same issues. Ive tried din and usb h and the hanging seems to happen quite a bit, mainly it seems when chords are being played.

I use an RS7000 to sequence 5 synths and was hoping this could replace it as the sampling capabilities are much better. But I can barely record one track on my dx7 without it hanging.

Another thing that’s strange and I want to echo what @kbraiden said, is that if I turn the SP2400 on while its connected via midi to my dx it crashes the dx7 and says midi error on the screen. This isn’t something that happens with any of my other sequencers ( rs7000, Daw, MSq700)

1 Like

I have the same with my DX7. Midi Error in screen when switching to on while connected to the S2400

1 Like

on this dropping out

if the pattern is 1 bar loop, does it drop out each 2nd spin of the loop and then come back?>

so
1 - on
2 - off
2 - on
4 - off

and so on?

@j.m Not what I am seeing. Existing loop is playing normally in record mode then when I add a new MIDI part it records fine (although that is not entirely true depending on the MIDI destination I am triggering but…different issue). But when I hit the record button to turn off recording (but continue playing) then the newly recorded part drops out until the next time around when the play head catches up to the first newly recorded trigger. If I have some time today I will create a video on it.

1 Like

Interesting - my Yamaha DX21 also crashes with ‘MIDI Error’ on the screen when using the S2400 as MIDI sequencer

1 Like

I am having the same issue here (2021-12-24 Update). Notes hanging when recording. It certainly behaves like a MIDI feedback issue.

My midi setup looks like this: Moog Model D (Midi Chanel1) → S2400 → Moog Model D (Midi Chanel1)

I am curious if the Echo setting (Sync/Control Settings) only applies to midi tracks that have input focus? Does anyone know? Or is this supposed to affect any midi message received on the input on any midi channel?

1 Like

I just checked what MIDI data the S2400 is spitting out when recording (using MIDI Monitor on my Mac). And it is as @trond.olsen motioned above. The S2400 is echoing notes received at the input when recording, even if Echo (Sync/Control Settings) is disabled. Notes are however not being echoed during playback (if Echo is disabled).

This can not be the intended behavior right?

2 Likes

Do you have ‘Local’ turned off on your Model D? I think that could be the cause of the feedback loop in your setup. Unless you have two of them (Model D’s).

“MIDI LOCAL OFF Hold the highest three black keys (F#3, G#3, A#3) while turning on the power to turn MIDI Local Off“

Local control is turned on in this case (Local control off does actually not work properly on the Minimoog Model D reissue anyways). I just have this simple setup for testing purposes. Usually i route all midi through a Mio XL interface/hub. I also have other synths/keyboards without any local control off features.

So the question remains. Is the S2400 supposed to echo midi data while recording when Echo is disabled?

3 Likes

This thread seems to have become a generic thread for MIDI issues. Is it appropriate to spawn a new thread about the original issue? Simple polyphonic MIDI recording is still broken and notes hang etc.

4 Likes

Is this issue not resolved? I heard people use this unit to control there synths but if this is the case then how are they doing so? I have a MPCX/Live2 here and debate on selling one of them for one of these units. Probably to be a slave to the mpc, or in standalone, but what other issues are out there like this? It’s the main reason why I havent jumped the gun yet. Well that and I had to spend money on a laptop for school instead of a S2400… Really wish I could get my hands on one to try out the workflow. My favourite device for workflow was the mpc2500jjos but I got spoiled with ALS export. I was wondering also about how people are exporting there tracks or tracking them out.

I export tracks the same way I did with my mpc2500 meaning separate analog outs to adat converter and then soundcard.

You can export your tracks via USB but in this case you “lose” the analog filters. Another difference is the USB digital signal is hot compared to the analog outs.
You still have to listen while recording. It’s not you press a button and everything is recorded separately.

I’ve never used more than 8 tracks at a time with my s2400 so no problem. I remember with my mpc when I had a lot of tracks going on, I had to export and record in two passes and write down what to do and sacrifice one separate out for the first pass and so on. I suppose you see what I mean.

For obvious reasons, there is little communication about what’s coming next in the firmware but if I were you I’d just wait again before deciding what to do :slight_smile:

Found this thread after banging my head against a wall for days because of hanging midi notes when recording. I am controlling a number of synths via external keyboard to USB host port, and regardless whether I use the keyboard OR pads, a few notes will always sustain while recording. It happens with echo off or on, local switch off or on, midi input focus off or on. It never happens when playing, only when recording. Please tell me a fix is in the pipeline?

1 Like

We are working on it.

12 Likes

Thanks Mickey! I was curious, especially with the older synths, does it look like its a CC vs Sysex issue or should that not matter?

@VeryCrush I don’t think that is an issue.

1 Like