Live loops don’t loop correctly after duplicating pattern

Actually, think more about it: a multiplication setting would be unnecessary and awkward. If the machine can determine if multiplication is needed, it just should apply it. Because there is also the situation when you used a division > 1 to record and then duplicate the pattern, the division value is still needed, the new (2nd) part of the pattern should be filled with the same as the first part.

So like an auto copy paste feature within the looper which copies the previous audio to itself however many times the pattern length has been extended by?

I think the OP possibly didn’t understand (at the time) that the looper isn’t treating the audio in the same way as a sample being triggered by a trigger event/note event in a sample track, so duplicating a pattern to extend a pattern’s length won’t auto extend looper audio to fit, this could only work with an auto audio copy paste feature.

No, because this can lead to memory problems. Just repeat the original audio within the looper, as long as it takes.

I’m quite sure that @Melkerpetterson knew exactly what he was talking about. He has proven that many times in other reports as well.

I don’t agree. A looper has just one task: looping what it was feeded until the looper is either stopped, the loop is deleted, or the loop is overwritten. If the data in the sequencer is doubled (or changed in whatever aspect), the looper should independently keep doing it’s main task.

First thing.

I didn’t say @Melkerpetterson didn’t understand, I said he possibly didn’t understand.

Back on topic.

There is obviously some sort of protocol that is informing the behaviour of the looper when a user extends the pattern length of the sequencer. In my opinion the fact the original 1s and 0s are not copied over to the now extended loop time is not a bug as much as just the way it has been defined to behave.

So when I tested this process of extending the pattern length as @Melkerpetterson described I got the same result as he did - some empty of sound audio space at the end of the previous loop length in which I could then continue dubbing into. I say dubbing because it also allowed me to add to the previous section. So it seems to append open loop space to the already recorded loop allowing them to become one thing… a new loop of 2 times the length (or whatever mult you mult’d by).

Auto copy and paste is IMO what would need to happen to extend the loop and repeat the previous audio data.

I’m not sure I would want an auto copy paste feature in the looper to be default when extending the sequence pattern length, but it would be a nice feature to have a choice about.

To me that is the bug (functional bug, as in design flaw) right there. It seems to me that the best thing to get this under control is to keep it simple, or actually make it simpler.

Why not have the length of the loop constant? So as soon as something is being recorded, the length of that looper track is being determined. Isn’t this how most (dedicated) loopers work anyway?

After recording an initial loop on a track the file is saved to the SD (‘looperxx.wav’). When doing overdubs, just allow to overdub for the length of the previous file recording.

The fact that you can have different loop lengths on the different looper tracks is complicated enough to get stable. Allowing variable loop lengths per looper track is even a lot more complex.

In my use of the S2400 (6 weeks now) so far I have always calculated the pattern length b4 getting in to the looper ie. normally I have worked out a few chords or something similar which I am happy to have looping around. BUT after reading this thread and then testing I realised that the current functionality is very flexible and is better than I knew b4! I was pretty happy with the new extended loop times but this older ‘design flaw’ as you call it makes the looper even better LOL.

The reason is - one of my use cases is playing guitar, keys or bass live….but something I have noticed is that I often start to hear extensions to the chord progressions once I’ve had something looped up for a while and then want to extend the loop, so for me current functionality turns out just right.

For you guys surely the option to convert to a sample and assign to a track with the trigger event already set up is the solution?

Yeah, I can totally understand your point of view. And the new looper functionality is very dope. If it stays like this, I can easily workaround this issue.

I’m just testing to see if I can find any issues remaining. This might be one of the last chances to get it right. When the new addons arrive, there is probably no (or very little) time for development on the core functionality. Nobody has said so, but that’s my perception of the near future.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, and given that info I understand you being keen to get as many issues cleared up.

I have encountered some issues which are significantly more ‘sore thumb’ than this one! so I better get on the case and get the event sequence nailed so I can accurately report them.

1 Like

Yeah it would still be nice if this could be looked at so make it simpler and not a manual task to go and change the division of every loop when you extend the pattern.

When I first made the post I think if you changed the pattern length after recording one or more loops the looper tracks didn’t update to the new number of bars and there were no way to ever extend it if you already started using the looper.

At least now you can go in and set division to 2 if you want to double the pattern and have the already recorded loops play as expected. Then record new loops over the full pattern length. This wasn’t the case when I made the post.

It’s totally workable for me now, though it would be nice if this could happen automatically when you double the pattern legnth.

Thanks for your feedback. I didn’t know that the division worked like that. Totally workable for me too. And @Sugarfoot76 s way of working is also allowed. Best of both worlds!

Yes, it was a bigger problem before. If you had a 4 bar pattern, recorded a live loop and then extended the pattern length to 8 bars you could only get your first live loop to play for the first 4 bars. Changing the division to 2 only made the live loop play for the first two bars before.

But that’s that in the past now fortunately :slight_smile:

1 Like