I’ve RTFM… still stuck. Help making 2400 master to Reaper

Hey all.

I’m trying to get the S2400 to be the master clock and transport in reaper.

I’m still going to use the 2400 for midi sequencing of the 2400. All my other devices are being sequenced in Reaper.

I just want to push transport MTC and sync info to my MOTU MIDI 128 8x8 to reaper and all Assoc. Devices. Anyone?

I’ve been fiddling with it for a while now, and also saw a few tutorial vids… I’m getting stuck in reaper where

I tried to get S2400 to slave Logic - no chance

My (very) limited understanding is the S2400 does not send MTC (s2400 midi implementation sheet confirms it)

Could the devs clarify this and/or any plans to transmit MTC?

Sorry… didn’t clarify. With Reaper it should sync to SPP.

Still, the sync isn’t accurate at all. Over a half bar of silence and then when the DAW starts, it’s all over the place.

TBH, I haven’t had any luck syncing (via midi thru box) to other hardware either. I’m using fairly short midi cables, and i can’t seem to find a way to use the 2400 as master with passable sync.

I’m frustrated, only because this is the way I work, and I need to find a way to get this up and running. Right now, using the 2400 is a giant PITA because every recording requires massive time alignment.

Besides the 8 outs, I’m slaving out: virus TI, all the Elektron boxes, voyager, Korg radias, modular system, sp1200, etc.

I’d use the DAW as master, but then it seems to disable the sequencer for me. I can no longer play or record as usual from the 2400. If I can get that going, it may be my best option.

i have never had much joy making any daw a slave to hardware, been trying for about 20 years on and off with so many types of clock - i tried for what i swear was the last time this year, no more, never

i run my HW two ways: one method is 99% of the time which is playtime, all HW is synced to 1 HW clock - this will be the rd9 or OT depending how i feel

the other way is the daw as master when i wanna actually record which is hardly ever

i have to ask why the 2400 is not slaved to reaper though? the 2400 seq: etc still records just fine but you say it does not, i do this currently with other clock sources - it seems maybe you have missed an option in the 2400 if you are struggling, shall we break that part down 1st?

if 2400 is not working for you as master across midi then make it a slave to elektron, we know they are solid - THAT SAID I have no issues as yet with the clock in the 2400, the only reason he is not the master all the time is TS clock outs and not TRS, that causes its own issues for me.

i assume your midi thru box sits connected to one master source?

2 Likes

So, I have up on making the 2400 master. I’ll stick to DAW master for now.

I set it up as follows: Midi out 1 from MOTU 8x8 interface into Kenton thru-box in.

With the exception of the virus (going in/out to motu midi 2/2), everything else gets an out from the thru box.

Still there are issues.

1. In Reaper, there is always about a half measure of silence before playback occurs. Timing is still off.

2. If I set the 2400 to external clock via DIN, then I lose transport control, and lose internal sequencing ability. Doesn’t work this way for the other devices I own… for the elektrons I can still sequence internally, arm tracks, stop start independently, etc. Why is the ISLA not doing this?

All I want (ideally) is for all devices to follow master DAW tempo and transport.

so you need to go into SYNC menu on 2400 and scroll to the MIDI DIN option, then scroll and click the TRANSPORT box under MIDI DIN - that then will force it to start/ stop and follow (all your DIN settings are in this page so scroll round and have a look to get comfortable)

of course you lose its own transport control in this slave mode unless you press shift+run, this combo will force the 2400 start for you if he is a slave

if you want him to record you still hit REC+PLAY before you start the master or you can simply press REC at a point to punch in

Got it.

That’s the issue. All my Elektron and other gear doesn’t do that; They still let me independently hit record or play while the sequencer is running to either punch things in or to stop and start the sequencers independent of the DAW while I am composing. I don’t understand why the 2400 wouldn’t do this as well.

Bump for more info… anyone figure out a way to do this?

i told you above mate, maybe you missed it

hit shift + run

that force starts it or stops it

@j.m I read your response…

What I’m asking is why exactly would the the ISLA work differently than most other similar gear I’ve owned? Why no MMC?

I’m assuming there is a way to do it and I’m just not seeIng it.

The workflow you describe would be an ergonomic and time management nightmare. I want to use the ISLA as master transport control for the studio, the same way I have in the past with an MPC60, MPC3000, or similar.

Having to hit shift + play every single time I want to play my DAW is the solution? And shift + record to arm the 2400 and then do it a second time with a mouse on the computer just to record a 2 bar loop?

So, to be clear… there is no way to:

1. sync the 2400 to a DAW
  2. While synced, make a beat on the 2400 and still be able to use the built in transport and sequencer, as I would on my other gear.
  3. When it’s time to track out to the DAW, I switch my DAW Audio tracks from monitor only to record, and then Record.
  4. If I need to go back to the 2400 for more OTB sequencing or sampling, it’s just a simple matter of duplicating my track groups in my DAW, changing the monitoring setting, or similar. Like one mouse click to switch “modes.”

This is how large studios have been doing this for the last 20+ years… you are telling me the ISLA won’t integrate well in this type of setup?

@j.m

I might have figured it out…

I think I can set Ableton to slave to chase analog clock out on the 2400 for transport.

I’m going to experiment and I’ll post if I figure anything out.

Casual Reaper user here. I ve noticed the same timing issue you mentioned a couple of times above. I m afraid that if it’s not solved at first, whatever you try will lead to the same result. So trying with another sotfware might be the solution indeed.

" So, to be clear… there is no way to:

1. sync the 2400 to a DAW
  2. While synced, make a beat on the 2400 and still be able to use the built in transport and sequencer, as I would on my other gear.
  3. When it’s time to track out to the DAW, I switch my DAW Audio tracks from monitor only to record, and then Record.
  4. If I need to go back to the 2400 for more OTB sequencing or sampling, it’s just a simple matter of duplicating my track groups in my DAW, changing the monitoring setting, or similar. Like one mouse click to switch “modes.”

This is how large studios have been doing this for the last 20+ years… you are telling me the ISLA won’t integrate well in this type of setup?"

not sure what you think is ergonomic disaster and time management nightmare- maybe you do not understand what has been said ? we have never once discussed workflow or time management etc.

you said you cannot make reaper slave to 2400 - i cannot answer why the MMC on 2400 is not capable of being master as i am not the designer, it appears the 2400 does not desire to be MMC master according to the manual

your questions

1: my 2400 is synced to hardware or daw - i told you how to do this, set 2400 to slave, tick the boxes in the sync menu and you are done, set up your daw to send clock. Easy

2: i told you how to punch in or punch out the 2400 manually using the 2400 sequencer if you want to - what exactly is the problem here? It operates exactly the same as a rytm etc when slaved, except we have to press shift + run on 2400 instead of play…Not exactly a nightmare pushing 1 more button.

3: easy - this is your daw you know how to achieve this

4: as with step 3 -

oh, ableton will follow analogue clock? cool - good luck - oh, understand that the 2400 clk out are TS, not TRS so you will always need ableton in a waiting state - TS carries no start stop message but i expect you know this?

so how is reaper so popular if it cannot send good clock? this seems a very strange report, if a daw cannot send good clock what use is it?

1 Like

@j.m

• The ergonomic/time thing I mentioned: is almost completely due to how often I need to use that function, and where the shift button is located on the 2400. That’s what I was talking about.

Now I need both hands to start the unit and double the tactile input… seems minor, but when I’m doing this for 4-10 hours straight and also trying to control the DAW with mouse/keyboard and multiple other connected midi devices, it just made the 2400 the “annoying” instrument in my studio.

Why the need to hit shift first? Just seems like a pointless additional step. Same with changing how Rec + Play works in sync mode.

Why can’t the 2400 just adopt the synced tempo and then work as usual? Why all the extra steps? None of my Elektron or other devices do it this way… design or hardware limitation? Just curious at this point. Maybe @Mickey knows.

@j.m As for Reaper, the master clock is usually very stable… better than Ableton (not saying a lot there! LOL), and on par or better than most other DAWS. Those comments are from trying to SLAVE reaper to the 2400… most DAWs sucks at this, Reaper included. That’s why I was trying MMC to experiment.

3 Likes

[quote=“Ddimartini3, post:5, topic:5474”] So, I have up on making the 2400 master. I’ll stick to DAW master for now.

I set it up as follows: Midi out 1 from MOTU 8x8 interface into Kenton thru-box in.

With the exception of the virus (going in/out to motu midi 2/2), everything else gets an out from the thru box

Still there are issues.

1. In Reaper, there is always about a half measure of silence before playback occurs. Timing is still off.
    [/quote]

this is why i was just querying it - i hear so much good about that daw that i was amazed to read this statement

anyway, i gave you the solution which is what we have as users, hopefully you find peace with it - maybe Mickey can remove the shift combo but i have to assume he did it for a reason

1 Like

Syncing hardware to software can be tricky. I wouldn’t even try the other way around. Do yourself a favor and get one of these… It just works and is super tight.

1 Like

Looking at innerclock systems right now. Seems like a more cohesive way to tackle the issue.

I had one and they’re great!

1 Like