Hello Folks and first impressions

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all. Let me introduce myself: I’m an old dad guy who has played in many bands in youth and nowadays likes to play electronic toys alone as some of you I suppose.
This is my first post so let me share my first thoughts about this machine if you are interested:
First, before going into more experimental stuff, my idea is to use the S2400 with guitars mainly to build riff-based songs. So, I immediately looked at the loop function.
Looping is quite immediate, and I like the fact that there is the option to save the loop as sample, assign it to a pad and clean it up. Unfortunately, there is a bug that cut out the loop at the end. Very annoying as it basically inhibits me to use this machine as I wanted. I hope that this will be fixed soon.
The sound engine has a noticeable mojo, even with all the filter disabled. I found Out1 & Out2 dynamic filters quite noise, so I tend to disable them or increase the gain for all the PAD and reduce the main volume. I also like the fact I can easily copy patterns, the stable system, disk streaming, loading samples, the screen, and the overall “tactile” workflow.
What can be improved, IMHO:

• Sluggish PAN page and the Sample page time to open (last firmware) – in general interactions with the UI that has latency impacts the flow and reduce the premium feeling to me.
    New Features I would like to see:
  • Real-time fader/knobs movement recording / automation –This would unlock a ton of possibilities.
  • An additional LO FI “dirty” filter (with saturation amount replacing resonance) to easy “Gonjasufi-y” samples.
  • Recording Loop combo: to record a loop from start I must tap Play+Rec+Pad_N – it could be nice an arm feature to prevent the continuous finger dance while I’m holding my bass guitar. Something like: Play+Rec+Pad_n to arm the track and start recording. If I’m not happy with the take, then I can stop, press B and press just Play+Rec having still the last track armed (no need to press the PAD again). Does it make sense to you?
  • Auto-chop feature

Overall, the first impressions after a week are positive. There is much more to learn, and I must develop the right muscle memory. So, I guess I’ll have some fun for the next months. And Kudo to Rob / Support Team: I had a faulty unit and a problem with the firmware upgrade. In both cases I immediately get a super-fast response.

Cheers

6 Likes

Hi, welcome to the forum.

About your feature requests, please have a look at the other topics and +1 them if they already exist or create a new topic if that doesn’t already exist.

I am afraid it will just be ignored if you leave them like this in your first impressions post :slight_smile:

2 Likes

there is an effects card planned that should handle saturation etc. Also you can get nice saturation just with internal gain-staging and resampling.

You can use a foot pedal to control the looper

1 Like

Welcome!

Some of your criticisms are fair but I think not possible to fix with patching, such as load times and high-resolution recording fucntionality since the working memory of the S2400 is very small.

The envelopes section does provide some good work arounds for being able to record filter sweeps - a huge number of sounds can be sculpted from a single sample using envelopes. It is somewhat chaotic/generative in its output as opposed to just recording the way you want the parmeter to fade, which I actually like a lot.

Have fun.

1 Like