Euclidean Rhythms for 21c

A while back I posted a request to implement Euclidean Rhythms on the 2400.

Rationale:

(1) Vlad is on the team and he’s already done it with VPME
(2) Transcend the generic boom-bap / 4-on-the-floor from last century, sound is dixiieland.

Would also like to suggest branching out into non-Euclidean Rhythms, for example some clave rhythms (I think bossa) are not representable w/ Euclidean algorithm.

Seems like 2400 is flex enough to accomodate such a mode with sliders for example encoding step-length.

I understand there are more pressing issues like bug fixes but is there any traction on this?

10 Likes

Would be cool!

Are you saying Dixieland–the style(sound)–is euclidean in nature? I’ve never heard that one!

I really wish this would happen…
.so fekin bored of programming beats into the machine and I love this machine.
I tried doing a workaround by adjusting the divisions and swing on each pad to use in note repeat but it didn’t turn out too well.

Still waiting on this new firmware update too

would love this for the tr sequencing mode :pray:t3:

2 Likes

+1 for this, if Vlad has time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Huge thumbs up for this!

Many thumbs up

As far as I can tell this is possible on the S2400 now.

It would be a bit long winded to describe how but if someone wants me to have a go I’ll try.

I’d certainly vote for this one. Love Euclidean rhythms.

I’m sure you can program Euclidean rhythms manually right now, but I believe the OP is talking about an interface where you select some high level parameters like length, number of notes and rotation.

Sure it would be nice to have dedicated controls for esoteric functions like ERs, but programming them in as the machine stands is kind of child’s play. Sorry in advance if anyone is offended by that statement!

FWIW -

Say 5 against 4 -

• 1 bar of 5/4 time with a base quantise of 16ths, then you program in some events on the quarter notes after which you program in some events every 5 16th notes. Then edit the note sound events to taste……then go to step program mode select the ‘5 line’ and try shifting it against the 4 with 16ths selected as the shift base (zoom in until you see 16ths upper left).

Maybe I’ll do a vid at some point……might be easier than my wordy explanation!

1 Like

this is true, but what is the workflow for quickly shifting from 5/4 to 7/4, or 15/16, etc that a dedicated euclidean mode could facilitate? also for quickly filling in notes in the pattern, which is not so fun to do one at a time

Your right, there is no quick method for trying stuff on the fly. But, my understanding of the base concept behind Euclidean rhythms is that it is a method for experimenting with juxtaposition of one time against another, given a fixed underlying pulse/time base. It’s a polyrhythmic method not polymetric so is more than achievable with the S2400 sequencer.

In general I don’t get the need for instant results and in any case we have Ableton live for infinite possibilities. Also it isn’t so much that we have need of the ‘limitless’ but more a need of skills to integrate abstract concepts into music in a musical fashion.

1 Like

my use case is playing live, improvised sets, similar to this where he uses vlad’s euclidean module. hopefully more of the live hardware crowd will get onboard the s2400 train when they figure out how good it sounds, similar to the jomox stuff. instant, shifting euclidean patterns with so many possible pads/banks of sounds would just be amazing.

i don’t think I’m a huge feature creep person who needs analog oscillators on the filter card and cirklon aux events, but this one makes sense to me and would be a nice nod to vlad.

In the context of live impro techno, yes I fully get it. Ironically though that guy states he doesn’t use the Euclidean module for anything more than accents in that jam. He is getting the free form flow out of jamming with the effects and waveshaper into the looper. Plus the speed of pattern input to the Europa I guess.

I had that sequencer in the past, it was fun and very quick to get stuff going with.

1 Like

Why did you get rid of the Europa? What didn’t you like about it?

It had a flaw which at the time I deemed a deal breaker, in hindsight I sort of wish I kept it.

The developer (who I ended up having a lot of communication with) had implemented the initial OS with no swing options, so straight sixteenths only. He then extended the OS to include swing but it ended up having a bug such that when you changed patterns the last 16th note in the pattern you were changing from would be a straight 16th no matter what the swing setting. That might not sound like a fatal flaw to some but it sounded pretty bad to my ears. So the solution was either never program anything into the last 16th note if swing was enabled or never change patterns….or don’t use swing.

Apart from that it was great fun to jam stuff with and was tight sounding in a way I haven’t heard from other HW sequencers.

One other thing about it was (I’m going full geek mode now!) - I tested its timing using the ‘Innerclock sequencer testing method’ which gives you a view on distance between 16ths at sample level and it had a micro difference and alternated between 2 exact figures, seemingly randomly!? But like I said you couldn’t hear that and it sounded in the real world crunchy tight.

If you were asking cos you have seen one for good price, yes I would recommend if you can live with the swing bug.

2 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate your detailed response. I considered buying the Europa many years ago and eventually forgot all about it.

We are probably set up well enough with the S2400 sequencer. It just lacks all the sync options and trigger outs that the Europa had! Din Sync, Midi clock, Analogue clock (square wave), 6 or 7 trigger outs!!