Dynamic Pad with Pad Threshold settings

I’m in need of some assistance understanding how to properly use the Dynamic Pad with Pad Threshold settings:

How does Pad Threshold work with Dynamic Pads active? I seem to get the pad to trigger sound no matter the setting 0-2000 by applying a small amount of pressure.

Also once the pad reaches the threshold is this suppose to trigger the sound at its full velocity of 127?

Demo Clip

1 Like

In my experience, I think the threshold is separate from dynamic pads. Ive been treating threshold as the minimum pressure that will trigger the pad(dynamic or not). To me, the dynamic pads do require more finesse than I’m willing to develop so I normally just use multi level. Just to be sure I checked the manual and looks like the above description is correct. threshold is the minimum effort required to trigger the pad and dynamic pads ignore the level fader and use pad pressure to set velocity.

1 Like

Thanks S.A.P. From your explanation once the minimum pressure passes that Threshold the sound should trigger right? In demo clip I provide you can see and hear I’m barley applying lightly the same amount of pressure to the pad and it’s triggering the hi hat sound no matter what the threshold is set at 0,1000, or 2000 in the demo clip. I would think that I would have to apply more pressure as the threshold setting increases in number.

1 Like

I definitely notice that the threshold affects the minimum pressure required to trigger the pad, but it is a different response than the MPCs Ive used.

Thanks again S.A.P. I’m clearly having an issue with pad threshold because if I barley touch/apply slight pressure to the pad with it set to a higher setting like 2000 the S2400 shouldn’t trigger the sound as if it’s set to 0. Pad Threshold set at 2000 should require more pressure to exceed the threshold in order for the sound to trigger.

Threshold: the magnitude or intensity that must be exceeded for a certain reaction or result.

I’ve marked in this MPC explanation of the functionality of pad threshold. As for the video I’m only referring to Pad Threshold because it’s a feature that’s already implemented within the S2400. Pad sensitivity doesn’t exist so I not referring to that function at this time.

I find the Pad Threshold to be strange as well.

I’m having some double trigger issues with pads 1-3 and there’s really no remedy or change in behavior between Pad Threshold set to 100-2000.

March 17 UI firmware

1 Like

Just wanted to confirm I don’t see any difference with any of the Pad Threshold settings.

Also having lots of double-trigger issues from pads that seem hyper-sensitive.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s definitely a difference between threshold and sensitivity. There currently isn’t a Pad Sensitivity setting, which would be really helpful to have in Dynamic Mode.

In finger drumming, I generally want output values of about 50% to 100% in velocity… with 50% being the minimum and 100% being hardest strikes. I’m finding that in more subtle strikes it’s just too quiet sometimes… especially with kick and snare hits. The MPCs and Roland MC707 have sensitivity, that allows the recorded velocity to be more tightly controlled.

Some sensitivity settings on 2400 would be great, or “output velocity gain / velocity compression” type of control… ie: scale whatever the 1%-100% input velocity is to a XX% to 100% range.

1 Like

Man, adjustably narrowing the velocity range would maybe be the easiest way to get usable results out of dynamic pads mode. Great idea.
+1

2 Likes

I’m super frustrated with the pads, in dynamic mode I practically have to hit the pad with a hammer to get full volume. I will get arthritis using dynamic mode, this is really really bad and I agree with above poster you want like 50 percent to 100 in dynamic mode.

My old sp has more sensitive pads than this lol

4 Likes

+1 to all of the above.

I can’t use the pads in dynamic mode as they are, its simply not working as it should yet on my machine. Glad to know a few more are experiencing the same (albeit bad that we are) at least there’s hope a firm ware update might ease the problem. Clyde Stubblefield would turn in his grave if he knew what we were going through…

1 Like

oh i hope this is getting attention

It will be but not likely fully fleshed out in the very next update.

1 Like

thanks for the heads up

just thought i would add this - the pads are super duper :rofl: now

for me they are ultra sensitive and i love em, i can just stroke triplets etc in without barely tapping, so nice

such a great job all involved there

2 Likes