Cartridge recommandation

Any good recommandation for a cartridge (moving magnet) for listening and sampling?

Budget is low range or why not mid range.
I ve used a sumiko black pearl for 10 years but unfortunately my son broke the needle :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: (the evil thing we all did once in a distant past :japanese_goblin: )

The price of a new needle being almost the same as a new cartridge I think it’s time to buy something else.

I have M44-7 for scratching so I don’t need a DJ cartridge :slight_smile:

How was the black pearl (RIP)? I’m in the same boat, been considering getting a hi-fi cartridge for ripping, listening and sampling as well, had been considering a Nagaoka MP-110. I don’t want to go much beyond €200, but the 200 might also be tempting if I win the lottery or something.

Just looking for something clean and detailed to play well with 1200 MKIIIs - can live with components leaning on the warm side - already have M44-7s also and Taruya 01-M Red as dj cartridges. The Taruya sounds great to the point that I wonder if it’s going to be worth it or if I should just grab something higher up in their range, but on the other hand it’s definitely a punchy, high gain dj cartridge, so my feeling is that something a bit more hi-fi would be useful as an alternative.

It was the opposite of the M44-7 in my setup. Less high, more bottom. So usually, if the record sounded harsh or too much sibilance with the Shure I would use the Sumiko to have a non aggressive sample. It was really nice because I had the choice of the colour of the sample when sampling.

For the next one, I don’t know if I will go that route though. I may just choose something more balanced, something that has more fidelity. :slight_smile:

Ortophon concord. Remove your old cartridge plug this directly into the tone arm. The key to setting up your tables for vinyl scratching and cuts is to balance all the components on your tables. Most imprtantly after that make sure you take a an old vinyl record with a plastic inner sleeve. Cut it in half then take both halves and cut a circle :large_blue_circle: out of each one. Use a sharp pointed object to create a center hole in each and place one on each table. Then place your felt slip mats over them. You will be shocked how much less your needle jumps when cueing, cutting & scratching. You need so much less pressure to slide and spin records forward & backwards. Enjoy!

1 Like

I finally bought a Nagaoka vmn40ml the year I created that thread. It has more highs compared to a shure m44-7.
Next time, I may buy a Ortofon vnl when replacing the shure m44-7 :slight_smile: