ASIO4ALL latency

I am using a PC with a Scarlett 6i6 interface. I have a ASIO4ALL working but the latency is bad. Hopefully its an easy adjustment.

Any suggestions?

have you been into the settings page on the driver? it has been so long since i used it as it has always been a disaster for me mate, i cried when i heard them say they were using that and not their own driver - i likely will never use usb audio for this reason, i may try it just to feel the anger again :rofl:

i understand not using their own driver of course, especially with computers nowadays

your interface matters not in this case as that is just an audio device now, i am quite sure the driver is defunkt in windows once ass4all is active

1 Like

The latency I get from asio4all is unacceptable. The workaround is most serviceable though, plug your headphones into the 2400 and use it like the primary sound card. It works flawlessly with my vsx… the only time you encounter this latency is during tracking which is a small price to pay for the functionality. You can always switch back to the primary interface during mixing, but tracking and programming this works very very seemlessly.

Asio4all is working fine for me, but I just use it to record the S2400 into Ableton, and as the sound card to monitor Ableton. I’m not trying to play things on both in real time or something. Even with a dedicated driver, I don’t know if people who are mad for latency would be happy, because they never seem to be with anything.

I have been using the S2400 as my general sound card since I got it, haven’t used my old interface at all. The S2400 USB monitoring is always on and all my PC audio goes through it whether it be media files or youtube or video games. No driver needed for that.

Asio4all only gets used for Ableton, and it takes over the audio completely which is annoying. If I’m referring to a youtube video or digging through a hard drive for a wav or something, I have to click the off switch on Asio4all to release the audio for other things to use it. Then turn it back on again to let Ableton play. Quitting Ableton quits Asio4all and everything goes back to normal computer audio.

But latency is not an issue, as least when using the S2400 as an output device. I just tested Ableton with a random midi instrument outputting to the S2400 and it was perfectly responsive and glitch free down to a buffer size of 72, with 64 getting stuttery. All the way up to 2048, there was the same instant response to playing keys.

Outputting from the S2400 and back out to the S2400, of course gets a doubling effect. Most of the lower buffer sizes also have slight crackling. Weirdly enough I found that 256 almost totally removes the doubling effect, but most other settings it is very noticeable. And trying out various settings is inconsistent, coming back to 256 after it being perfect suddenly it’s really crackly, then trying others and coming back again, it sounds fine again.

But still, I’m very impressed with how this machine which wasn’t even meant to do USB stuff can do a lot of convenient USB stuff almost flawlessly, using a generic old driver.

@Afferbeck this is the thing with that driver - it works for some, not for others - i have never had what i would call a good experience with it and i have tried it several times with several systems

whereas a proprietary driver such as that with my mixers and so on are 100% all the time

shame isla couldn’t do what elektron did and just send and receive audio via usb as class compliant

i agree, i am well impressed that they added it though - i know it will make many people very happy

Cant really fault Isla on this one, it is USB class compliant. Windows audio is just behind MacOS. Not starting a flame war here its just a fact. Windows does a lot of things that I like better than MacOS but audio is not one of them.

1 Like

i don’t think anyone is putting isla at fault, as windoze user i know/we all know mac walks all over us with this sort of stuff

My point wasnt about Mac Vs PC my point is that it is class compliant. Windows audio can be a dark art which is why ASIO4All or a custom driver is required, its not a case of not being class compliant. Of course I could be wrong and the devs are free to correct me and Im happy to admit Im wrong too :slight_smile:

oh, 2400 is CC? hey everyday is a school day :rofl: , i stupidly made the assumption due to needing the ext driver that it wasn’t

tbh usb audio and me are a no no anyway and this proves it hahaha - like i said, i know it will make many happy

I’ll second the latency on WIN.10 via Ableton: terrible. I really, REALLY hope someone releases a dedicated driver.

Forum says to welcome you. Welcome! :wink:

My s2400 detects without need for a driver, or asio4all on my old macbook air running osx 10.12.6 (latest update possible). In other words, it is class compliant. All ins and outs work super snappy, better in fact, than any other audio device ever has, even with a driver. I can run simultaneous ins and outs and everything is by default as it should be in reaper, etc.

The fact that I can audition (or live monitor) all the tracks I am recording into my DAW, and have them mixed back from the computer (with anything else I have playing) in realtime into my mix bus being recorded in channel 1-2 is so powerful that I wonder why no other mixer/soundcard I’ve bought has this enabled by default (or even has an easy way to implement this).

Is this not the case for windows?

Casey

You still need to use asio4all on windows and the latency with S2400 is definitely noticeable. Overall, asio4all has always been a bad experience for me. It was one of the reasons why I transitioned to MacOS since its core audio does a better job at audio stuff than windows and you also don’t need any extra software

Also, someone replied that people always complain about these sort of things. Everybody has different standards. I know many people who have had 15 Mbps wifi bandwidth with 100 Mbps internet plan and it never occurred to them there was a problem.

2 Likes

I’ve been struggling with the aforementioned issue for, as yet, there is no dedicated driver for the S2400 in WIN.10 and in Ableton, it’s hard to ignore.

The best I’ve found is: GitHub - dechamps/FlexASIO: A flexible universal ASIO driver that uses the PortAudio sound I/O library. Supports WASAPI (shared and exclusive), KS, DirectSound and MME.

You’ll have to push the compensation pretty hard but it’s a heck of a lot better than the ASIO4ALL lag.

Hope this helps.

PS.

Latest release for flipswitchmonkey’s GUI for FlexASIO is here: Release v0.34 · flipswitchingmonkey/FlexASIO_GUI · GitHub

You’ll need .NET installed too: Download .NET 6.0 Runtime

3 Likes