32 Audio Tracks (any 8 playable at a time)

I’m suggesting that, since it has been covered on Facebook, and I read about it there, I can speak with some certainty on the subject here.

Nope. The stereo output will be the sum of the eight outs.

So it’s eight poly & that’s it.

1 Like

Hmmm ok, that is a weird limitation to carry over from the OG to be honest, even other samplers in the same era didn’t have this.

1 Like

I agree.

Well at first I suppose it will be difficult to use it as our standalone main unit.

In my case for my work flow, I am still wondering how to use more than 1 stereo sample and assign everything, and overcome the polyphony limitation.

Anyway a few months to go before receiving the unit and figure it by myself.

Of course I don’t know if it is possible, but a polyphony expansion card making it 16 or let’s be crazy 32 or 64 voices and 8 pad banks would be on top of my feature request list. I don’t need a fx or filter card or a floppy drive. Just need what would make the unit easy to use :slight_smile:

One of the cool things you can do with the 8 voice poly on the OG, and for now I will assume the S2400 is that with strategic assignment of channels to pads/sounds you can create choke groups. I particularly like to put a punchy kick and an 808 kick on the same output, so you can create the effect of a choked 808 on measure 1 Boom bum bap bum bap, and then a long extended kick on measure 2, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM bap bum bap. It helps keep the bottom end clean and adds interest to the pattern. I do the same with choke groups on my SP-16.

4 Likes

I usually run things along these lines -

1 - Kicks
2 - Snares
3 - Hi Hats
4 - Bass
5 - Main sample
6 - Complimentary sample
7 - Horns
8 - Vocal sample

As you can see not a lot of room for layering drums etc if you’re making whole tracks.

However it does tend to focus the mind & many a classic has been created with only 8 poly / 8 outs.

3 Likes

By FX I meant cymbals, swoosh, arpegio dropping sound , echo fx horn etc…

I didnt mean Delay / reverb plugin.

But re reading my post, I just realised that I would be assigning all track as Mono…so that kill all the idea.

Id need to have my melodic sample to be Stereo.

Anyways, Ill wait to have it in hands to figure out what this 8 track really mean.

Im pretty sure im missing the point completely as of now.

You could prob assign a few diff sounds to 1 pad. like say a sample of a blues piece. even if the sample has multiple instruments in it, it would still only count as 1 voice as far as the 2400’s concerned. Its a throwback to the golden era of beat making, with some modern amenities and passion thrown in. Im a complete beginner, so im gonna get myself a record player specifically for this baby!! I bought some .wav files samples too,and a mic!! back to the basics is the future to me!! lol maybe this isnt the hardware for you? Good luck figuring it all out!!

Its hard to say that its not for me yet. I haven’t tried it and there’s very few details that point out to be an issue to me.

Like I said, I’ll have to wait to get the machine in my hands to understand the limitation and if it fits my need.

yes 8 tracks isn’t a lot BUT it is how you use them, this works like the octatrack and other elektron gear, you be surprised what you will get out of the voice count and what you can actually fit onto a single channel when you need to, you will also find that many of your productions probably have too much in them when you get used to this method

can have different samples on one channel - basic house beat below - dum tish, ya know

kick on#1
OH on #3
kick on 5
OH on #7
Kick on 9
OH on #11
Kick on 13
OH on #15

now, we can use a cls hat to shut the OH off by inserting it between the kick and OH on even steps

insert a bongo here and there and a RS and on one channel only we have a percussion track, ok there is no layering but we have 7 more tracks PLUS midi and don’t forget loopers are polyphonic

now you may look at the above and say ok, but that means using 5 sample pads (kick, cls hat, OH, bono, RS) - nope, bring your samples in on one PAD and slice them, then make the machine work for you

something i do a lot with the octatrack is this below and i assume based on the architecture of this that we can do the same - go with me

max out my 8 tracks THEN sample the master, save that sample as a stereo file and load to a slot, in my next pattern i dump all channels and use that stereo master sample, i now have 7 free channels to use and push the song forward - I hope that makes sense

as for your melodic tracks, you have to start a new brain process with track limitations like this - record them in and slice them, then use the machine to select the slices again so you are optimising your memory

2 Likes

I think something people are missing is the feature that allows you to chop a sample and have multiple start points. This feature can help overcome the 8 voice limitation by minimizing how many separate “sounds” you need to use. Much like why tracks produced on the OG made such use of the pitch faders. You could create entire new melodies with samples without maxing out on polyphony.

1 Like

So 8 samples can be played at the same time in audio, it would be interesting to have more possibility because it limits the possibility of making sample layers (stacking), on the other hand I can not find any information specifically concerning the number of polyphony for external midi hardware instrument at the midi part sequencer

I don’t think midi is limited by polyphony. Polyphony is a limitation of data due to audio. Remove the audio and there’s no longer a limitation. Right?

Not sure how this helps with the 8-Poly? It’s just an easier way to chop one sample onto separate pads isn’t it?

Brad said there’s no polyphony-limit for midi-sequencer (as typical with other midi sequencers).

As for more very detailed specifics on the midi-sequencer, Brad told me they’re still working on it and it will be released soon enough (but, it won’t be released when the units ship out… it’ll be a future FW update).

The midi-sequencer is the thing I’m mostly interested in (and of course, the og sound too). I’d love to see if it could replace my MPC60 (which is my main-sequencer for all external gear).
I am just patiently waiting.

Thank you for your answers, I hope that the S2400 will also completely meet my expectations both in terms of sound and sequencer with the vintage heritage …

1 Like

it is 8 voice, no way around that - that is to everyone not just you 909

IF you need more than an 8 stack and desire to do it on here, load up 8, send out and resample

then stack what you need onto that

or employ something else in addition/instead of

this is not an all out sound design master - if you need massive stacked samples it will be easier do them elsewhere and pull them across as 1 file anyway then colour to taste

enjoy this for what it is and embrace the 8 track count

thank you for this information, absolutely, yes, I just need to add a sound work step before and do resampling, and use the S2400 like an 8-track :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Throwing another idea taken from JJ OS, voice monitor or polyphony meter for the mix out as a feature request.

jogu_os3

Trust me it is very easy to reach the limit when making a regular beat and using the audio looper.

I suppose one of the first support requests about the s2400 from young users will be “why my sounds cut or suddenly disappear”, in this case it is easy to answer check the polyphony meter then find a way to optimize polyphony yourself.

4 Likes