Side panel screws are stripped

Hi all, pleased to be part of the community. I tried to remove the side screws to install the wood panels which are dope too, unfortunately some of the screws are stripped or something and the included hex key does not remove them. I tried another set of hex keys to remove them that have already and same deal. Any solutions any else find having this problem?

2 Likes

I’ve worked on cars on/off since the '90s… I’d use a screw-extractor bit of appropriate/small size.

1 Like

Have you tried a star drive instead? I looked at mine and they look more like star drives, though also liker maybe an allen (hex) could work, too. And it seems it worked on some of yours… but yeah, if you can try a star drive the right size, maybe try that instead.

1 Like

Yeah its weird they look like a cross between hex and star, ill try a star set

I had to use my cordless drill with a star but. Worked like a charm. The torque hand screwdriver one would not move it one inch. Drill no issue. Then the new screws went in from the Curry Cases replace my with the hex key no issue.

1 Like

It’s a T10 hex screwdriver.

its not tho, most of the screws came out with the provided t10; three did not and look more like stars, we will see what happens

1 Like

When I removed my sides, I found that one screw had been over-tightened during assembly, and the threads on the screw itself were rounded down/stripped. The threads on the machine seemed to be ok in my case though.

I put a little constant pressure on the side of the screw (under the head) with my fingernail, as I turned counter-clockwise, and it backed out of the hole.

At some point I’ll put in a request for a couple replacement screws. But, my current sides don’t require use of all the originals.

1 Like

Another trick is to get some kitchen paper or, even better, an old handkerchief (or equivalent thin cotton material), lay that over the top of the screw then push in either the star driver or a flat-head screwdriver with equivalent (or slightly narrower) width.

This gives you grip without further stripping the “socket” of the screw as you attempt to turn it. I’ve used this on stripped phillips heads and hex bolts so I figure it’ll help with a star head.

2 Likes

Mine were stripped too and I used a screw extractor that I got at Home Depot for like $10 but even with it, it was a huge pain in the ass to get the screws out lol.

1 Like

Screws are stripped on mine too, on the left panel. When I try to turn them they just spin freely. Not a big deal for me though, I like the sides that are on it and it doesn’t impact the performance in any way.

1 Like

This happened to me to, I had to find another hex key or a torx bit but I forgot which I did. I thought it’s was just me.

Who said anything about deal breaking or performance issues, lmao.

Yeah man, i got a new set star set coming, i’ll let everyone know how it goes, gonna try a couple of the tips here.

Who said anything about you? I just meant that it doesn’t bother me. I wasn’t even thinking about you when I wrote that.

2 Likes

my bad i thought you were replying to my op

UDATE: it turns out the screws werent stripped, you just need a star set, and the included thing is for the new screws which are hex, thanks for the help everybdy.

1 Like

I suspect you’re trying to remove the metal screws with the allen key that you use to install the screws for the wood sides. Use a T10 Hex screwdriver (or bit if using electric) to remove the silver screws.

EDIT: I was replying to your original post and didn’t see your latest reply - apologies!

1 Like