Sending program changes from S2400 to other synths?

Is it possible to send program changes from the S2400 to other devices? E.g., to change patches on on a synth. I’ve read the manual but can’t find how/if you can

Cheers in advance

3 Likes

I see there is no answer to this yet, I would also like to know this. I haven’t been able to find this feature yet and I really quite need it

I would so much love being able to do this as well + recording and sending pitchbend messages

Just resurrecting this thread as I spent a few hours last night trying to get my S2400 to change patterns automatically on my TB-303 clone, and the short answer is yes the S2400 does send Program Change messages but it doesn’t work in the way I was expecting it to.

Firstly - In the Sync Settings (Pressing Shift then Sync), for each of the outs (MIDI Dyn, USB B, USB Host etc.) you can set “Pattern Chg Out” to on. This sends out Program Change messages, which you can swap to CC #32 if you want to. You also set the MIDI channel number you are sending to here as well.

Now when in pattern mode, when you change patterns it will send out the Program Change Message which as far as I can tell is the first byte sending the channel number, and the second byte is the value 0 to 127 which equates to the Pattern number you’ve changed to in the S2400.

As far as I can tell there is no way to set a specific value of the Program Change you want, the value it sends is the Pattern number of the S2400. This is still useful to me because I can set my TB-303 clone’s pattern numbers to match the corresponding S2400 pattern number, so whilst not being particularly feature rich, I can still get it to work in a useful way to me.

The next thing is to get this working in Song mode, and as far as I can tell, Program Change messages are not sent in Song Mode, only Pattern mode, which is a bit of a bummer (and I’ll send a bug report in for this).

To finish all this up, when I started playing around with Song mode, I was expecting that I would be able to insert #CC messages as an Event Type (ie change a synth patch before the next pattern etc.), but alas it looks like this feature doesn’t exist at the time of writing.

2 Likes