Mpc Integration (workflow)?

They are all happening, priority is just being given to bugs and kordbot over firmware development currently.

1 Like

My only gripe is the 8-voice poly on it; that’s a super limiting factor (especially if using one-shots and not loops).

Ahhh yes I totally agree. I’ve been using the S2400 for a few days now and I’m encountering sounds cutting off, obviously voice limits, something I haven’t experienced for decades now. I have so many newer devices with high polyphony that I forgot how I used to have to manage it on monophonic outputs (I’m coming from an old SP1200, S950, EMAX world here).

I know some people will always carry the torch for those limits - they help focus you! they keep you from overdoing it! - but honestly these limits were not a purposeful creative decision on those machines. The limits were practical to the tech at the time.

The last few years I’ve been using Ableton, an MPC Live, an OP-1, etc, and these polyphony limits are actually counter productive for me now as I have to spend some time figuring out how to manage voices and what’s cutting off what, etc. It’s an energy drain.

This machine is awesome. I’m a drum machine geek. I’m not mad at it. This thing joins my SP1200 and MPC3000 as one of the greats that I will die with. But I was surprised to find this limit.

3 Likes

You’re encountering the choke feature. Brad has confirmed that bouncing a pattern to one pad/track is something that is being discussed/developed along with time stretch.

2 Likes

Yeah… my main-centerpiece/sequencer/drum-machine-sampler was always the mpc60, which had 16voice (and also an S950, to give me the ability to play samples chromatically via keyboard).

The 16voice of the mpc60 is still low by today’s standards; but, it was good enough for me and I never found it limiting me. But, the S2400’s 8voice though… yeah, way too low, lol.

MPC3000 is even a little higher iirc… 32voice.

2 Likes

Yes, 32-voice polyphony on the MPC3000. I still have mine right here! I will never get rid of it. But I don’t have a hard drive for it at the moment. Used it a few months ago, loading and saving with floppies, and it was rough.

I’m admitting right now when it comes to music production, I now gravitate toward the path of least annoyance.

2 Likes

That is the roughest thing about the old samplers especially when compared to old synths. Old synths may not have presets or midi but they can still be programmed and played with relative ease and documenting how a patch is set up is easy now with a camera and just giving it a name on the jpeg.

Not the case with the old samplers and so I’ve been begging the gear gods for something like this for over a decade. Even swapping out the old floppies for SCSI2SD or floppy emulator is a total pita. But they have a sound that is for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah… MSC and SD is a game changer. I feel I can now make very random, fun doodles/sketches easily and anytime. And, numerous ones.

With the mpc60, it was super daunting and you really had to put aside a day (or at least a few hours) to just locate floppies in your room/desk, plug in audio-ins, sample one at a time (after auditioning sounds), save, etc., etc.
It was a bit too serious and that very involved hassle/effort makes you only want to use those samples for serious projects, let alone fun, random, easy sketches.

1 Like

I have the S1100 with a floppy emulator is still not sure is working 100% correctly.

2 Likes

Yeah… always heard those emulators can be a pia too, especially their few-digit numbering system and searching for files within in. That’s why I always kept it og and floppy.

Was interested in emulators 10 years ago, then Forat told me, “floppies are fine… keep it original. Those SD/CF emulators aren’t good.”
Which made sense to me… as there’s +30yo sample kit/pack floppies that work perfectly fine still.

1 Like

Yeah I may try to fit it back in but I’m not sure if it will work. Still again pulling it apart and getting to the piece and trying to get the ribbon cable on. It’s just a hassle. If I were in the UK I’d have jazzcat soup it up. It’s almost there with maxed out ram and a new screen.

1 Like

I have two SCSI2SD kits here, one I want to install in my SP1200 (original floppy drive kinda died upon it’s first use since 2015), and another that I want to install in my old Emulator III sampler. I have read on multiple threads that using one on the MPC3000 isn’t always dependable - some say it’s fine and others say they can’t get it to consistently work. The holdup for me simply trying has been the formatting. It’s kinda confusing to set up the SD card to behave like a blank formatted disk for the machines.

Love the convenience of the S2400 MSC connection for all the reasons FoodDude mentions. It would be killer if Isla made a simple application to build kits over USB with drag-and-drop! While I’ve been using MSC to create folders of sounds, part of the reason this machine is so desirable is using the S2400’s recipe to really get the old vibe: use the S2400’s secondary inputs with old-style A/D converters, speed up your sample source, sample at 26k, then down-pitch to get that classic punchy “sound.”

Haven’t done it yet but going to try that soon.

The holdup for me simply trying has been the formatting. It’s kinda confusing to set up the SD card to behave like a blank formatted disk for the machines.

Exactly. Why is buying one preformatted with the proper card set up correctly for your machine difficult to find?

1 Like

Yeah man. Couple that with me being on MacOS and my Windows skills being mediocre. Nearly all the utilities for the operation are on Windows and although I can run them with Wine or by going into Windows, it’s just not really very clear what I need to do. It’s not impossible, there are some web tutorials and vids on YouTube but I have a dozen projects on my list, and the SCSI2ID thing is just me being stubborn and wanting to do something cool/hipster :rofl: with my old machines, when actually I have several new samplers and Ableton Live that let me just get in there and create.

Regarding the reformatting you mention: When I bought the second SCSI2ID card, I had the option of also buying an SD card that was formatted like an old Seagate 80mb drive like the ones installed in Macs in the late 80s. I got it but it didn’t make a difference in my floundering around.

I’m gonna make note of your name here and if I find a good resource for formatting/etc, I’ll let you know. And I’m open to hearing any advice on the emulators if you have any!

I watched that video on the midi that you sent me but I cannot get this to work… I have midi cable on midi out on mpc 60 and midi in on s2400. Set everything up and when I hit play on the mpc it syncs to the mpc tempo and transport and I can see the 2400 run/stop working in time with it. How do I get the pads to trigger though am i missing something here? Can i not use the normal pad abnk A on 2400 and load sounds onto it and have the mpc pads trigger those sounds? like setting up the drum pattern and seqeunce with swing and all that on the mpc but using the sounds i load onto the pads of the 2400? Do i need a second midi cable to also run out of 2400 and into mpc?

Hi,

No need for a 2nd midi cable. I got this working last night myself.

Go into the sync setting on the s2400 and make sure that your mpc is sending midi out to the channel that your s2400 is set to. Then when you scroll down you should see a note setting for each pad when you highlight it on the s2400 and then press a pad on the mpc it should then change the numbers on the s2400 to essentially map that mpc pad to the s2400 pad. Then do this for as many pads as you like and you should be set to go!

6 Likes

This is the way.

1 Like

I have my mpc set to midi clock: out A and sync is on. I know it is working because when i press play on the mpc the s2400 transport follows and matches the tempo. Its everything else you described I am having trouble with. In my sync settings on the 2400 I have clock src. set to Midi DIn. For the pad mapping are you going into “sample tracks map” or “midi tracks map” I have tried with both but pressing the pads on the mpc is doing nothing. If i go intot he midi settings on the mpc i can see that for pad “A01” is “Note:37” but when i try setting the first pad of s2400 to 37 it isnt working. Is there any way maybe you could attach some pictures or something. I really appreciate this help and i really want to get this to work it is giving me such a headache. Thanks

yo KT1 i feel you sometimes theres so many parametres you dont know which combination to try.

here this should get you up and running. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I really appreciate it but yeah not working. This is like beyond frusturating i think I have smoke coming out of my ears lmao. How did you know to set your channel to 16? Could i possibly see your control settings (in sync settings) as well? Ive been up all night trying this and its not healthy lol. Also what mpc are you using? I’m on the 60 so my pad bank when i hit them arent even showing note 50 which btw when i hit the mpc pads its doing nothing to the 2400 like automatically mapping the selected 2400 pad i had to go in and try to match it manually.

I’m on an MPC X . Have you set the mpc ‘track’ midi channel to match the s2400? If you look on the previous photo I sent midi channel is next to midi note on the s240!( That’s where the sixteen comes from) i then need to set this on my mpc track in the midi setup for that track.