Erase events (in Step Program) functioning incorrect (and randomly)

So when i use Step Program and select a portion of my pattern using shift+dial, copy events works perfectly. I.e. to copy just track 1 events from the 1st 2 bars and paste in bar 3…

• select 2 bars out of 8
  • press ‘copy’
  • move cursor to bar 3
  • press F7 to get to Copy Paste menu
  • deselect all tracks except track 1 and
  • execute ‘paste and merge’

However, erasing notes in a similar fashion is not working for me but the functionality sort of seems to be partially in place. My understanding is that it should work as follows to erase just track 1 events from the 1st 2 bars of an 8 bar pattern…

• select 2 bars out of 8
  • hold ‘Erase’ to get to ‘Erase Selection’ menu
  • deselect all tracks except track 1 and
  • execute ‘Erase events’

However, despite there being track data for pads 1-8 across 8 bars, i sometimes get the below screen

I’ve also had another one where only some of the pads can be erased, e.g. 6-8 are available, but 1-5 are not, but there is data in all pads.

And finally, just now when i tried to re-visit this issue, it is now working as expected, allowing me to select any track to erase the selected events.

Been driving me mad as it happens on every project, randomly getting either no possible events to erase, some possible events (but not the ones i want) or it works (and i cant explain why!!!).

Sorry you have having this issue. I have not heard of this one before, and I cannot reproduce it myself. I am certain that it is not random. We just don’t know the conditions that cause the issue. There is some sequence of events that occurs before pressing erase that causes the issue.
Hopefully someone can find the steps to reproduce.

I will try and reproduce when back from holiday and will attach the file. I’ve been unable to use the Erase function in the grid sequencer on almost every track I’ve tried to.

re-visting this issue. it happens on every project for me atm. but maybe its an understanding thing. Whenever I shift+encoder to select a section of events to erase in the grid mode, it I always get the screen above that says ‘No event selected’. This all means the ‘Erase Events’ options are disabled. However, if instead go to the ‘Copy’ screen the same events are available to select. Just re-iterating how it is meant to work in the manual in case I am missing anything below. At present I struggle to erase notes in the S2400 outside of TR-Mode or erase all notes via Erase+Pad.

" Erase

The erase screen uses the same method of choosing tracks as the paste screen described above. Only chosen tracks will be erased.

Cut to Clipboard: Erases the events and also copies them to the clipboard. Otherwise, the clipboard is unaffected by the erase function.
Erase Events: Removes events from the pattern.
Erase & Shift Chosen: After erasing, any events to the right of the chosen tracks are shifted left. Erase & Shift All: After erasing, all events to the right of the selection are shifted left."

and this happens with the March 10 firmware?

Correct, new OS. But i did some further testing before going away and if I go one step further by navigating to the section ‘Modify events’ and then ‘Erase events’ it seemed to show the Erase selection screen with the expected pads available for event deletion. I’ll do some more testing when back home tmrw. I’ll review an old project, made pre OS and see if selecting a section in grid mode and pressing Erase button results in same screenshot. And will test a new project. Will update tmrw.

Re-tested and currently still get no ‘No Events Selected’ in the ‘Erase Selection’ screen on a new project. Note this time ‘Modify Events’ → Press Erase Button also results in ‘No Events Selected’. In Step Program I have selected 1 bar which has various event information across tracks.

Maybe it is not related but I had this issue of no events being selected a couple of times as well, hence my complaints that step edit is clunky.

It’s probably not. It is the fact that the result is intermittent makes it confusing trying to remember how to do something such as copying or erasing events.

I still cannot reproduce this issue. If you can figure out the steps needed to make it happen, then we can fix it quickly. If you can, please try to repro it with the least steps.

I can repeat this issue almost every time. I am actually less sure why it works as expected on random occasions.

Steps

1. Project has 4 bars with track events
  2. Press ’ Step Program’
  3. Hold shift + Select encoder to select first bar only
  4. Press ‘Erase’
  5. Get screen as per screenshot

If I press ‘Copy’ instead of ‘Erase’ I can use the ‘Copy’ function and de-select / select the pads which have events - so this mode works for me, it’s just 'Erase.

Deleting steps manually is clunky, but using the provided ‘Erase’ section in Step Program is an excellent non-clunky feature, just sad it doesn’t work for me. It’s essentially the same style of erase feature as in the MPC, and I would use it all the time.

I might have spotted the issue at last. Ive been in TR mode. So it seems you can’t use the Erase function unless you exit TR mode. Is this the expected behaviour?

I ask because whilst it could make sense it also is weird that ‘Copy’ still works for the Step Program in TR Mode but Erase doesn’t.

EDIT: apologies it’s actually behaving randomly. I was able to enter Erase mode and edit whilst in TR mode just now. But at various points of making this project I could do this.

I guarantee it is not random.
In your steps above, did you leave out any key presses? like F2? or anything else?
Can you please upload your project’s .S24 file? We don’t need the kit or wav files.