Couple of Normalize Bugs for the next go around

I’m sampling today and noticed this.

Recorded many samples all at 12 bit 26k directly from Phono1 input. (Not sure that matters.)
Some recordings were very quiet, so I opened up the waveform editor to normalize.
I press Level, then 1, and then enter.
The audio plays as expected ‘Normalized’.
But then I thought, did it actually normalize, so I did the exact same presses again (this time seeing that it had in fact normalized the first time).
However, now the audio played back at the original volume.
So I exited the waveform view and reentered to normalize it again.
You should be able to reproduce that easily I think.

The Second Normalize Bug
After Normalizing, save the file, then play it again by triggering the pad.
The sample will play back with double the normalize because it is still applying the gain to the new saved file.
Once you exit the waveform view, the gain is how you originally set it with the normalize.

Hopefully those make sense. You can hear the problem best with really quiet samples that are being normalized by 10 or 12 db.

1 Like

Hi, it doesn’t look like it is a bug to me. The sample needs to be saved to apply normalization.

There’s an explanation about it in the manual.

The first part is normal operation, but the second part… Looks like 1bg.

I followed the steps of this ‘second bug’ with a sample that had 16dB headroom. Normalize to 0dB and it is a whole lot louder. Then save. Then pad to trigger. The pad plays now at a volume that is not good for your ears: another 16dB added…

2 Likes

I must not have explained well enough. I’ll try again. I’m just copying and pasting the second part to keep them collected together. @tnkz76 I realize how it works with saving. That is not what I am talking about. @syah71 Thanks for confirming that you can reproduce it. It’s not the worst bug ever, but yeah not great either.

First Bug

Press Loop/Slice and then B for which sample to look at.
Press Level and set the normalize level to 0 or whatever.
3) The sample plays at the new louder level and the waveform shows that it is louder.
Press Level again.
Press Enter.
Now the waveform looks the same as step 3 above. But the audio is back to original unnormal level.

Second Bug

After Normalizing, save the file, then play it again by triggering the pad.
The sample will play back with double the normalize because it is still applying the gain to the new saved file.
Once you exit the waveform view, the gain is how you originally set it with the normalize.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. I missed the first one too. Can confirm now. After this scenario the graph is as it should be (still @0 or whatever you chose). The audio is back to soft.

Hint for easier reproduction: first step before the scenarios above: normalize to -20 and save. This way you can have no doubt with what you hear.

I am sorry. I didn’t read your report enough carefully.
I can reproduce the first one while staying in sample mode as well.

The normalize function has been an area of reports since it was introduced. I m wondering if it’s necessary to have it worked in a non-destructive way which seems to create workflow issues and sometimes bugs.

I mean when I use it, it’s to turn sounds near to 0db so it shouldn’t be something complex. :slight_smile:

I’m wondering if people use this function in a different way.

Yeah, no worries. This is not even that big of a deal. I just wanted to point it out so that if it is an easy fix, it might make it onto the list of things to do.

1 Like