A lot of s2400s up for sale?

I counted 17 s2400s up for sale on the used market? Any thoughts

People just selling gear to buy other stuff.

Could be the ones who bought pre sale and catching some profit.

People bought the S2400 and didn’t gel with it. Etc.

4 Likes

Could be right ……buyers market right now I guess?

How a lot of ‘new’ gear ends up on the used market, I assume, is because of people think they need the next new gear that comes out to be able to be a better musician. And in the end they’re not willing to invest te time needed to get to know their new gear.

7 Likes

There are nearly 3500 units out there in the wild so as a percentage, 17 isn’t really a lot.

5 Likes

Lets be realistic…

It would likely be due to:

• deceased estates.
  • people that want a white one and who cant buy a white case anymore.
  • people that are chasing feelings of buyers remorse.
  • people that bought two and realised one is plenty.
  • people needing to turn assets into cash to afford the dsp card.
2 Likes

Honestly there’s usually a lot of everything for sale these days. :wink:
The internet causes a lot of people to buy gear who have no real potential to make use of it for various reasons.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of S2400s.

2 Likes

Ref deejaycase comment- absolutely none on EBay UK or Reverb UK today, plenty of elektrons, akais….

This is really inevitable once a device has been out for a while. I’m guilty of buying things, thinking / hoping they’ll work for me and then realizing as much as I admire what other people do with it, it’s not for me (uh hem Octatrack - is a great example). In most cases it’s not about the device but the user. In some cases things are a dud. I think we can agree in the case of the S2400, it’s the former and not the latter.

2 Likes

Are these used ones you refer to in the usa? I ended up buying new from Juno uk because no used here that I can find…please send me a link to any 2nd hand stock as i work out of 2 studios and would be great to not transport my main unit…cheers

To be honest, the s2400 is a powerful and cool drum machine to work with. Once you learn it, you’ll fall more in love with it.

1 Like

A lot of people used or owned an E-mu SP1200. I myself owned 2. I’ve sold those a few years ago and they’re considered, “Vintage”. I replaced both SP1200’s display screens myself.for very inexpensive cost. I kept mine in great condition over the years. I also resored an E-mu SP12 and sold it to a Rap Legend. They all sold for way more than I purchased for and at a reasonable price for each one. Those samplers were very simple to use. The S2400 is way more advanced in many ways. I think the buyers that purchased the S2400 were expecting a much simpler and primate user interface. A lot of options on the S2400 scare the S_it out of the original SP1200 ex-owners and current users to the point of, “Technophobia”. Seriously, I read a bunch of posts on here from ex-owners of the Emu SP1200 being on the fence about making a purchase of the Isla S2400. I can tell they’re afraid :fearful: :scream: to actually put there mind to work on all the setup options and worried about how complex it is compared to the original SP1200. It’s scary for them because they don’t like using computers or even know how to. If you notice on youtube alot of original SP1200 users are always only using other hardware and hardly ever computers. I think after they purchase the S2400 they feel lost on all the cool options which are similar to computers interfaces and software and they give up before taking their time to choose the options, save the changes and don’t know how much easier it actually is and how similar it is after the correct setup. I’m at the point of just turning on my S2400 and it’s all ready to go just like the SP1200. The ones selling the S2400 are probably intimidating :flushed: as soon as they turn it on. They’re thinking in their mind, “Oh no… I hate anything so Computer like, screw this… I give up, I’m going to sell it on the used market, it’s not easy for me to understand or learn and I don’t like the confusion, I just wanted to turn it on and begin using it”. Btw… The videos on youtube don’t tell the user step by step on how to set it up identically how the E-mu SP1200 was setup. They also speak way too fast for a new user even with full Mac & P.C. users. I can relate to them to a degree but when I set my mind to learning something I’m not intimidated. I go slowly and create my own notes :memo:. I write my own owners manual and create # steps. I repeat carrying out the steps for a few days to the point of feeling comfortable and no longer have to refer to my notes. Then I move on to something like using the Data Card to import/ Load and Save. Not all users think that way. They become dicouraged.

3 Likes

Interesting insight Lex!
I never used an EMU sp2400, I came to the Isla after using Akai, Elektron, Polyend, Roland and several DAWs. So for me the SP2400 is more intuitive, easier muscle-memory, than those other machines. Example- first time I turned on the unit I used step programming, without opening the manual or video, quicker than on the other units. Still use MPC one, sp404, blackbox, sold the others.

PS asking the the OP - Where are those 2nd hand units? I saw only 1 on reverb whereas there were 20 digitakts and even more Akais! :nerd_face:
Cheers!
RD

Not sure what you’re talking about because that wasn’t what I was talking about but good for you… lol P.S. F.Y.I. I’ve owned and repaired E-mu Sp1200’s/ SP-12, Akai S950, Akai MPC 60 MK2/ MPC 5000 Ensoniq ASR 10 and also used them producing music when I owned Electronique Workshop Studio in Brooklyn, New York for 20 years. I now own the Isla S2400 as well and all step and realtime sequencers are redundent. Once you learn one machine the rest all work the same way. I was talking about people who (solely) owned and produced music on a the Original E-mu SP1200 and not sure if you’re aware but the S2400 is modeled after the SP1200. I was referring to individuals that are switching from the original SP1200 over to the modern S2400. Btw… did you ever own an E-mu SP-1200 or ever use one?

Hey Lex, I got that you were talking about previous SP1200 owners that’s why I found it interesting lol

I said I never used a SP1200.

I just wanted for anyone who was reading to know: that having used those other popular samplers for years I find the Isla to be far easier to use, that’s all.

Anyway this thread title is a bit misleading, unless there’s some secret marketplace or I’ve missed something (happy to be corrected) there are hardly any Isla’s selling second hand. :joy:
Cheers
RD

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=isla%20s2400
There is about 15 or more s2400s on reverb right now

1 Like

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=isla%20s2400

There at least 15 s2400s on reverb right now

1 Like

Thanks mate that’s what I searched - only 2 are 2nd hand though, no?

Which was the point I tried to make, very few or no used Isla on the market, sorry if that didn’t come across

The rest on Reverb are brand new, which I assume is Isla increasing its quantity in the retail channels, which is good, they deserve to sell bucket loads of S2400s through retail. I purchased mine through Juno UK.

I just felt the title is like saying “ there are a lot of Fenders on the market” or “ a lot of Akais on the market” - no harm meant.

Anyway I’ll move on now, will enjoy the Isla, both the beautiful sampler and a whiskey :grin: :tumbler_glass:

11 of them are used not 2. Enjoy

1 Like