Sidechaining

In the livestream I asked about the possibility of adding sidechaining/ducking but had to checkout to take care of my little ones. Just curious if it was answered and if not, could be added in the future.

Wasn’t answered no.
I talked about it ages ago, something very basic like on the Deluge would be VERY useful!

4 Likes

Yeah I figured since the envelopes are so comprehensive that it wouldn’t be too huge of an ask. But I’m not a programmer so I don’t know what an envelope generator of sorts entails.

Good idea

1 Like

Here’s a wild idea, in the choke settings, have a choke amount, so then it acts as a sidechain effect.

9 Likes

That’s an interesting thought.

1 Like

That’s a super interesting suggestion :sparkles::ok_hand:t5:

1 Like

That’s a cool idea! Maybe they could make it so that envelope 2 could be used as a sidechain envelope. So it would work just as it does now but get triggered from other pad hits assigned to the same choke group or something like that.

But that might be a little weird, how would you know which of the multiple tracks assigned to the same choke group trigger ducking on what track?

The best way to implement it that I see would be to just have a setting to envelope 2 where you set what track will trigger the envelope instead of it getting triggered by it’s own sound.
Then you could also play with filter and pitch envelope modulation getting triggered by another track. That would be very cool, especially filter modulation. Then you could set up a HP filter to filter out some lows when the kick hits without having to duck the volume for example.

Then you could use a track without a sample loaded and just program the sidechain envelope trigs to whatever you like!

4 Likes

I think the issue would be that choking doesn’t just turn the volume of a sample all the way down, it stops the sample’s playback. If you assigned choke amount, that would basically mean that you’re now modulating volume instead of actually silencing the sample, and that modulation without assignable release times would end up in a lot of headaches.

You would try to “choke” a piano sample, except it would just silence it for two seconds and then pop back up and you would hear the tail of the sample anyways. Or, you would try to “choke sidechain” a sample and instead of sidechaining cleanly to the choke group, it would sidechain for way too long, or way too short.

You would need a release time attached to what is now your volume modulation. But then “choke amount” would actually just be ratio/threshold, and now you’re just building half of a compressor with extra steps.

It’s a dope idea, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think it would play out practically. I could also be 100% wrong because I’m no audio engineer lol

1 Like

Yeah I see what you mean.

I love this idea. And if you are able to set the trigger track (just to trigger the env) say a kick drum then muting it will stop the side chaining then BOOM, the pumping comes back in. (Or turn down the kick vol if you want the pumping to keep going).
I truly think this would be the most useful effect to have.

1 Like

A Sidechain mode like the toriaz sp-16 would nice. One track controls the envelope.

1 Like

Yep that’s pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

Check this thing out: nABC

While it’s not an internal sidechain solution, you can hook it up to one of your individual outputs and use another output or MIDI to send sidechain signal to it for proper compressor ducking.

3 Likes

Wow thanks for the tip, that is an amazingly affordable solution. I’ll have to keep an eye out for when it comes back in stock. Right now I have my iPad hooked up with only usb audio back to the outputs, and have a saved S2400 template in AUM that has a sidechain bus with the BLEASS compressor.

Edit: I didn’t see the first “3” when doing the currency conversion. Not quite as amazingly affordable ad I thought!

1 Like

No prob!

Edit: I didn’t see the first “3” when doing the currency conversion. Not quite as amazingly affordable ad I thought!

Yeah it’s unfortunately kind of expensive, but also there’s nothing else like it so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This is incredibly cool. Thank you.

1 Like

Nice Tool.

Definitely a plus one on this. Or at least 1 Lfo that can let us do a bit of everything

same! guessing compression/sidechain will be part of the dsp card? lfo’s would be amazing as well