Pattern change delay :(

I was really hoping the last coupl firmware updates would alleviate a massive hindrance ive been fighting since i got the machine but seems no dice. Im desperate to find some way of getting the S2400 to change patterns upon receiving the program change message. Instead, it shows the pattern i want it to move to in parentheses upon the program change, but waits for the current pattern to cycle before actually swapping. I don’t understand why it doesnt change at the moment like literally any other synth or device ive ever used. is this an impossibility? Does anyone else have issues with this?

I’m not familiar with and didn’t know that programs change messages could change the active playing pattern on the S2400. But in general the MIDI program change message is typically used to change a sampler or synth’s active sound (or patch or whatever), not the sequence/pattern (as samplers/synths don’t always have built in sequencers).

I would think it’s natural for the S2400 and any other drum machine/sequencer to wait to change a pattern if it’s currently playing, otherwise the sudden change would be jarring. I guess I’m just used to stopping then switching patterns if I need to do such a thing very suddenly. Maybe an option to enable/disable the feature you’re looking for could be added to the firmware?

Seems like the arturia drumbrute will change patterns just fine in the same method though

MPCs old and new as well as the SP-1200 and the SP-303/404 line all wait until the current pattern reaches its end. That’s what I’ve personally grown accustomed to but I also like the idea of being able to switch things up immediately. That, for me, would open up a WORLD of possibilities!

2 Likes

+1
It’s one of those things that makes jamming on my DSI Tempest so much fun.

1 Like