Gain Reduction in Bounced Samples

I have been busy with school but after many months, I’m finally back to print with my s2400 daily. One thing I’ve noticed is that bouncing samples applies a gain reduction. My trim knob is all the way to the right (and I’ve noticed it makes no difference if all the way to either side) but I have to increase the gain about 5db for the audio to match where it was before I bounced it. Resampling makes it even quieter. I frequently sample in, trim and bounce and then resample 33@45 so a sample gets progressively quieter as I progress.

Side note, is there a trim function so I don’t have to bounce in the first place? It would save me a lot of grief iff I could just set the start and ending points and hit trim.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed a gain reduction on bounce or resample. Gain increase if anything.

For trimming, you set sample start / end / loop points from various screens. If you want a permanent trim, you go into loop/slice mode and set above points, then hit shift + save. If you make sure the file name does not auto-increment, it will overwrite. So you have both destructive and non-destructive options there.

If it’s a matter of wanting a faster shortcut. Well there’s a feature request forum. It’s huge. lol

EDIT: Normalize is as simple as hitting volume in waveform view of loop/slice mode. It also requires re-saving the sample.

1 Like

This is the way. I often find myself re-normalizing material even after resampling. It is indeed as easy as hitting volume+0+Enter :slight_smile:

Yes, still notice bounced samples lose volume when bounced.
And progressively if you keep bouncing. Using newest firmware.
Is this intentional behavior or a bug?
I know you can normalize and re-save but shouldn’t a bounced sample be the same as the original, anyone?

1 Like

On resample there is definitely a gain reduction unless you reach round the back of your 2400 and make sure the pre amp trim knob for inputs 1+2 is at max.

The same thing happens in other machines that resample internally. I don’t have the technical language to explain it but, yes, this is a common thing. Not a bug.

As far as I understand it - resample is actually routing audio through the ins 1 + 2 circuit set to resample at 26khz 12 bit and so the trim knob position does effect the results. Their resample at 33/45 option is just pitching the sample up by a specific amount before running it through the circuit.

I haven’t tried bouncing yet so can’t speak as to why the OP gets gain reduction there! I’m only 4 weeks in on my S2400.

I’ll try the bounce option today

That’s on max. Haven’t touched that.

Not on the Sp404 MK2.

Not there but definitely on the MPC Live. I’m using both the Mk2 and the Live at this very moment to make something and I’ve noticed a drastic difference in sonic fidelity in samples when I resample them within the Live.

1 Like

Oh……ok then I’m going to go try that again to see if I can reproduce the issue.

In general there seem to be issues with volumes I am finding, like when in the looper mode and committing a loop with button A. I’m wondering if these are all related issues around auto gain reductions which they implement to reduce distortion when summing lots of outputs. (I remember this being discussed in one of the live chats with the devs)

Ahh ok. Not a huge issue I guess. Just have to normalize and re-save. Thanks

You are right, it is minor though on my unit.

What I did was normalise a snare hit to -0.5 db, then resampled with my gain trim knob at max, then went into the normalise screen again on the resampled snare and it read -1.3 db

So a gain reduction of -0.8 db.

I can live with that but it would be better if it wasn’t the default.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. Appreciate it.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that it makes a big difference whether a track in bounced to mono or stereo. Mono is much quieter while the stereo version seems to be ok.