Tapping into my old school House roots

Whilst I have been making House since the late 80s, I kind of thought I would be going back to my Hip Hop roots when I got the S2400 a few weeks ago. I love both genres, but weirdly, all I have made is House.

5 Likes

Lovely skippy almost uk garage vibes on this… are the stabs a known sample or something you cooked up? very dope, lets see some more. Some over the top FX wouldn’t go a miss here, think Double 99 - Rip Groove haha lezgo!

1 Like

Yup it’s a sample. I am not sure I would call it known though lol. It’s from a very underground House track from 1988. The guys who made UK Garage (and definitely Tim from Double 99) were definitely influenced by the same people as me (Todd Terry, Kenny Dope, MentalInstrum, Mood II Swing, Kerri Channdler, etc), but the whole skippy beats, swung, triplets etc predates UK Garage. It was these kinds of beats we were making in the late 80s and early 90s that then blossomed into the whole UK Garage scene (but sped up by +8, hence Speed Garage).

1 Like

Ah yes, for sure, im a big fan of these dudes, particularly Kenny Dope, Todd Terry and Armand Van Helden. The hip hop heads that were making house music.

Nice work, look forward to seeing/ hearing more :pray:

1 Like

Proper :fire:

Love that swing on the 2400, made for this

1 Like

Yeh man 100%

You know what, weirdly, for years I thought of Todd as the Hip Hop guy making House, and the same with Kenny, but Todd’s biggest influence was Freestyle, and Kenny’s was reggae and Dub. Freestyle is all over Todd’s beat programming and sound selection, especially the late 80s and early 90s stuff stuff.

1 Like

Well observed, im not mega familiar with freestyle, but dig early todd terry records, had a great collection on CD, not sure it survived. Will dig into some freestyle i think.

Had you heard the Todd Terry mix at Hard Times 1995?

A fav of mine;

1 Like

Nice. I’ve not heard this.

Yeh check out mid 80s freestyle. Loads of Todd’s snares and stabs are from that genre and era.

1 Like